top of page

Free space for events and festivities

Bulbul Café

​ Please spend a relaxing time immersed in the gentle babbling of the brook nearby, in the scents of the forest and the changing seasons of Mount Hiei.


Summer menu shaved ice

Savor your refreshment with a dish and a spoon from the studio.

Enzyme Syrup Plum / Lemon / Yuzu / Lemon


Brown Sugar Syrup Kinako / Hassaku Orange from Yamanaka Town

Strawberry Milk / Pineapple Milk

600 yen

Please check our opening hours on instagram

as we have no regular closing days.

Harumichi Reiki, poem 32 of Kokinshu​

Here at this mountain river see how the wind blows?
Autumn leaves have caught and can't even flow



A sitting statue of Amida Nyorai, 2.7 meters high and 1.7 meters wide, has been carved from a tall granite rock facing the road of Saikyo Temple.

Built in the late Kamakura period.

Facing the old road that crosses the mountains that connects Kyoto and Otsu, praying for the safety of those who travel along the road.

Stone Buddha at Saikyo Temple


Many poems are written about the beautiful scenery along the road from Otsu and Shigasato to Kitashirakawa in Kyoto via Yamanaka-cho which is now the Dogoe and Shiga mountain crossing.

In the year 661

Emperor Tenchi opened the capital of Shiga and built many temples. The road has been used since the Heian period as a shortcut connecting Otsu and Kyoto by pilgrims visiting from the capital.

In the year 672

During the Jinshin War an epidemic spread turning the capital of Kyoto into an abandoned city.

In the year 888

Saicho opens Hieizan Enryakuji Temple

In the year 905

Kokinshu Ki no Tsurayuki wrote a poem about a woman drinking spring water crossing Shiga.

To the left of the first torii (archway), there is still a spring called Tamanoi.

Shiga Crossing


One of the seven shrines of Sakahiyoshi Shrine


Sessha Hachioji Gongen was enshrined here on the lucky day of September 1759 AD and revered as a tutelary deity.

He is keenly revered as a god of safe childbirth and on 15 May it is customary to serve offerings from morning til evening by girls who are chosen in the festival that day. In 1879, the name was changed to Juge Shrine and continues to this day.


Archery Event

Held on the night of 15 January at Juge Shrine in Yamanaka-cho. Designated as an Otsu City Intangible Cultural Asset



On the night of the second Sunday in May, unmarried women selected in Yamanaka-cho place an offering tray with sacred sake and sekihan on their heads and dedicate it to the god without anyone's help. It is a tense event to watch.

Juge Shrine

bottom of page